New Years Resolutions

This year i must save more money.
For the next year i will eat less junk and be healthy.
My resolution is to be more selfless and spend more time with the family.


Sound familiar?



Every year our society dictates that on January the first we MUST choose a target to reach, a goal to aspire to... something that will make the year ahead better than the last. There is so much pressure to not only choose one, but to make it so spectacular and worthwhile it will make those you know say "Wow, I wish i could do that". 


 Fireworks / Jack-Benny /CC BY-SA

They say people suffer the January Blues - yeah, because we are all so obsessed about becoming a better person, or keeping that  "goal" you know is totally unrealistic. Why do we find the need to put ourselves through so much stress every year to make and keep new years resolutions? How many times have you kicked yourself because you ate that KitKat when you bragged to EVERYONE that you were going to do the impossible and give up chocolate for good. Come on... was that really going to happen?

I'm not saying people shouldn't set goals and challenges for themselves, I'm just saying they shouldn't have to wait until January to start working towards them, or even feel the necessity to tell anyone about them.

I asked one of my work colleagues out of interest what their New Years resolution was and they replied, in a tragically sad voice "I don't have one, I can never keep them so I don't bother". Another thing we do - put ourselves down or think less of ourselves for not immediately adhering to our challenges.  We shouldn't get so upset if we don't reach them by next January, or if we break them. There shouldn't be a time limit on self-improvement or goals that really matter. The things that really make you the better person come with time and experience, often when you are least expecting it and not when you are forcing it to happen.

For me i have learned the hard way. Every year since i was a little girl, I always had the same New Years Resolutions. I want to be more confident. I want to be more organised. I want to be more successful etc.
And by the end of the year, or even after a few months if i hadn't achieved these goals i would hate myself and carry these burdens called resolutions over to the next year.
It was only when i started my new life in London did i realise all the things i have achieved over the past 10 years without setting a resolution. I managed to get into an amazing high school. I managed to be the first person in my family to go to university. I managed to get up on stage talk in front of a crowd of people in a county pageant. And i managed to build all of these wonderful relationships in my life that I treasure more than anything. 


 


I realised, all of this is NOT from setting a stupid New Years Resolution, this is called GROWING.

So this year instead of burdening myself with something to force myself to improve, I will continue to experience, learn and achieve all that will help me to grow in my own sweet time. 

Love and Light and a Happy New Year

Gem
xxx

Song of the Day
Paramore - Grow Up




0 comments:

Post a Comment