Winter Essentials and Must Haves

Hey everyone!!

Its that time of year again! The backlash of Christmas has drawn a tight belt on your purse, a time for temperamental weather, chapped lips and bad hair days. Yes, its January, a new year a new beginning… well so we all hope
I don’t know about you, but January is always the hardest time of year for me… the pressure of creating a new years resolution (that you know youll never keep) is stressful enough without the rain, cold and temptation to eat that massive cheesecake calling your name from the fridge…
Well I have a few things to help you all beat the January blues!

Skincare:

I have tried and tested many hand creams over the years and none of them compare to this one.

Cath Kidston Rose Hand Cream. £8 John Lewis

I absolutely adore this hand cream. Not only does it smell good but it really does the job. It’s so rich and moisturising, a little goes a long way! Free from parabens and artificial colours, its perfect for sensitive skin. You can also find this in Bluebell and Blossom scented!

Haircare:

We all know that the beginning of the year brings high force winds, endless rain storms and occasionally (if we are lucky) showers of snow. 

I find that my hair tends to damage quickly at this time of year due to using a hair dryer to try avoid catching a cold. There are a lot of heat protectant sprays and serums on the market, but this one seems to work the best for me and I would recommend it to anyone who finds that their hair damages easily.

V05 Smoothly Does It heat protect serum. £4.19 Boots.
Not only does it act as a heat protectant, but it helps create a healthy shine as you dry and style and control any frizz or fly-aways. So if you suffer from crazy hair (like I do in the winter) give this a go!


You’re going out and you’ve just created an amazing masterpiece with your hair and you wonder how on earth you are going keep it in place all night! A lot of hair sprays claim to have a “firm, long lasting hold” but for me, the one that stands out is the TRESemme Salon Finish extra hold hairspray.

£4.69 Superdrug

It really does what it says on the tin, holds it in place and does not budge until you brush it out. However it doesn’t make your hair stiff, which is the great thing about it! It may take out some of the natural softness, but it will still feel like hair, not a hard hat!

LIPS:

Chapped lips are the bane of my life during the cold weather seasons, and when they chap they peel… I mean really peel! Dry flakey lips are nothing to be proud of so invest in the LUSH Bubblegum Lipscrub! £5.50 Superdrug. Just rub over lips to exfoliate off the dead skin for healthy looking lips. It’s edible too, so just lick off the sugar crystals for lushious kissable lips.


Keep your lips nice and hydrated with the Burts Bees nourishing lip balm with Mango Butter £3.69 Boots. I love this lipbalm, it really works for me and has that beautiful mango scent. I prefer it to the original Burts Bees lipbalm as I find it hydrates my lips a lot better and the smell is a lot nicer! I don’t like putting things on my lips that smell horrible… it would be right under my nose (literally) and I’d smell it all day! Yuck!


I’ve also discovered the Maybelline Baby Lips range of tinted lipbalms in red, peachy nude and pink. £2.99 each Superdrug. I really like these, they give your lips a cute natural looking tint as well as moisturising your lips! However although the colours are pretty I’ve found that they don’t actually keep your lips moisturised for very long, so I suggest using a more nourishing lipbalm (like the Burts Bees) under it to avoid having to top up every so often.


For those of you who love your rich winter lipsticks and lip colour but HATE the upkeep and chore that is making sure your lipstick hasn’t bled or smudged I recommend Lipcote. £3.69 Boots. It’s a sort of varnish for your lips that makes sure your lipstick wont move an inch! Perfect for parties! Warning – it does dry out your lips a little so make sure to moisturise before and layer a good lipgloss on top!



A colour that everyone seems to be wearing at the moment is that dark purple-wine colour! I think this colour is so pretty and looks good on most skin tones, however it is a daring colour to wear and I understand peoples anxiety of it. I was the same until I discovered the Revlon Embellished lipgloss. £7.99 Boots. The colour is dark, but you can choose how to wear it! Lightly over your natural lip colour, boldly over a deep red or dark and mysterious over a matching purple tone. Such a versatile product and I’d recommend it to anyone!


FACE:


A good foundation for this season is a must have. I recommend the Maybelline 24 hour superstay foundation. £8.99 Boots. It really is a brilliant foundation! It comes in a wide range of colours, has a medium to full coverage and doesn’t sit too heavily on the skin. The only thing I’d comment on is that it doesn’t quite last me 24 hours. Maybe like 16 if im lucky and I don’t touch my face…



The L’oreal blush in Rosewood is such a pretty colour to have in your makeup bag this winter. The colour is so natural on the skin, it really looks like you have rosy flushed cheeks from the cold winter air. It stays put on the skin nicely, which is a bonus. It comes with a little brush underneath the pan and also has a mirror. Im not a fan of the brush, it’s a little too hard for my liking and the finish it creates is a bit harsh, so I just stick to my normal fluffy blush brush as it gives a more natural finish. £7.69 Superdrug.


    

Eyes:





Statement eyebrows are all the rage at the moment since Miss Delevingne took to the stage in 2011 as the face of Burberry and made bushy eyebrows ok again (luckily for me!).

The Maybelline Browdrama is great for a quick groom and filling in sesh, I recommend it for you girls who struggle to get your brow hairs to go one way! I know I do! £4.99 Boots.




So that concludes my post on winter must haves, please leave your comment below if you liked this post or have any recommendations of your own! I would love to hear your opinions!!
Thanks for reading guys!

Love and Light

Gem

xxx

Song of the day:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM
Pharell Williams - Happy


0 comments:

Post a Comment