The Currant Trend

Hey there lovelies!

So this season everybody is wearing the colour CURRANT! (No, I’m not stupid; I meant to spell it as currant trend!)

I want to introduce to you a few products that will help you fabulous folk get in with the currant trend and also suggest some pointers of how to wear it best!


I have previously reviewed a Bubble-gum lip scrub from LUSH, this product is a must have if you are going to wear any colour that is bold or will make you stand out from the crowd. These types of colours will highlight any dead skin or chapping left on your lips, so make sure to buff them thoroughly!

The next important thing is to moisturise your lips to prevent them from chapping or drying out. Wearing such a dark colour means that you can’t go licking your lips without messing them up or noticeably fading the colour, so whack on a couple of coats of an intense lip balm on.

There are loads of lipsticks, glosses and nail varnishes on the market in curranty or reddy purple colours, so I’ve reviewed a few of my favourites!
I found a really pretty colour by Sleek called Vamp - £4.99 Superdrug. It’s a kind of dark red with a brown undertone. It’s such a lovely colour to wear in the colder months after Christmas when the classic red has been over worn or become boring. It’s still as striking as a classic red, but brings a gothic element to your everyday make-up, which is a really popular look at the moment. The finish is velvety and matte, but does not dry out your lips like most dark lipsticks. The formula is enriched with vitamin E so will keep your lips soft, however I still recommend you wear a coat of lip balm underneath for extra protection from the cold. 


Because this colour is quite dark, it may make the rest your makeup appear slightly washed out. Therefore I recommend that you team it with a fair amount of bronzer, or a golden eye look.


Revlon also do a dark currant colour called Black Cherry - £7.49 Superdrug. I love Revlon lipsticks; they are always such good quality and last ages! 

This lipstick looks REALLY dark in the tube, but it comes out a lot lighter and sheerer on the lips! So don’t let the initial colour scare you off!
The formula is quite rich and creamy, so keeps your lips moisturised, but again I recommend applying a lip balm underneath, as with every other lipstick or lip colours.

Because the formula is quite sheer, it has the ability to build colour. I like that it gives you the option of wearing it lighter during the day and darker and more glamorous in the evening. 

This lipstick suits the majority of skin tones, especially the lighter tones. It really gives a striking touch to your makeup – great if you want to stand out of the crowd.

The only criticism I have about it that it doesn’t go on evenly, so take care when applying it to get an even finish, and watch it doesn’t bleed (as it isn’t matte, so has a higher chance of moving off your lips). I’d recommend applying it with a brush and finishing it off with a coat of Lipcote Lipstick Sealer (£3.69 Boots).


I have already reviewed the Revlon lip gloss in Embellished (see Winter Essentials and Must Haves post), but I just want to stress how much I love this lip gloss. It’s not sticky at all and goes on so evenly and lasts a pretty long time. 

Like the Revlon Lipstick is has the ability to go on quite sheer or bold, depending on how much product is layered on. 
This is also a good lip gloss to apply over both of the above lipsticks to intensify the dark lip look.



There are plenty of Currant coloured nail varnishes available to complete your look. Here are a few of my favourites:



Primark have a range of nail varnishes called Angelica at £2.75 each. The quality of them is quite good and is perfect for students on a budget. They’re obviously not as long lasting as some of the higher priced nail colours on the market, but when you’re a student anything is better than nothing!

I found one called “Mulberry” and I think it’s such a lovely colour. It’s quite similar to the Sleek lipstick in Vamp – a dark reddy brown but with more of a red tone than brown. This colour is perfect for the Currant Trend; I highly recommend wearing it with the sleek lipstick.




I am really loving my Nails Inc. nail varnish in “Victoria” at the moment! It’s a dark cherry shade and goes wonderfully with the Revlon lipstick in Black Cherry. It is probably my favourite nail varnish out of all of the currant shades I’ve tried. It is chip resistant and gives a lovely shiny finish. Unless you do a lot of manual labour, this is a long wear varnish and will pretty much stay put until you take it off.

I bought mine online at nailsinc.com but you can also find it at big Boots stores or House of Fraser for about £11. As you can see from the picture this nail varnish is very well loved!




I visited the queen of all counters for nail varnish – Barry M and found one that I was desperate to try out. Burgundy Crush is a matte effect nail varnish. Instead of that glossy finish that we all know and love, the varnish dries matte and gives an edgy grudge look, which is really popular this winter. I really like this nail varnish and I really recommend it! It is such a lovely colour and the matte finish lasts such long time. It does chip quite easily, so make sure you wear a base coat underneath!




You can also create your own matte nail effect yourself with just a pot of boiling water! Fill a pan with water and heat it on the stove on a medium to high level to get the water boiling. Meanwhile paint your first layer of varnish and allow to dry. Once the water is boiling and giving off steam, quickly paint a second layer on and hold your nails (nail side facing the water) OVER the pan (not in it!) for 5-10 seconds, allowing the steam to mattify your nails. Then allow it to dry completely!

Also why not add an accent nail by painting you ring finger nail or thumb nail with black nail varnish for a little more of an edgy or grunge look!

I hope these reviews are useful in helping you create the Current Trend! If you enjoyed this post please leave a comment below or give me a shout out on Twitter or Instagram! If you have any more products that fall into the Currant Trend please let me know, I’d love to hear your opinions and views.

Thanks for reading!

Song of the day:
Rather Be - Clean Bandit (feat Jess Glynne)


Love and Light

Gem

xxx










0 comments:

Post a Comment