Shopping for a High End Foundation

Hey there guys and girlies!

When you’re going out or it’s a special occasion you always want to look your best. I think it’s important to have a good quality foundation to create a good base for your make-up. However big high end brands can be expensive, therefore it is SO important to be sure that you are going to use it and love it like you do your drugstore brands. ALWAYS try before you buy, don’t get roped in by the sales talk on the counters by the makeup assistants, you do not have to feel obligated to buy something right there just because they have spent a bit of time telling you about the products.



What I recommend is that you go shopping with travel size pots to put samples in, as a lot of counters don’t have sample pots or have “run out” (this is another sales technique they use to get you to buy it instead of going away with a sample). 


I suggest you find about 4 brands to sample at most at one time.
Boots sell a tower of 5 stacking travel pots for £2. This is really handy to keep in your bag when foundation shopping. It is also a good idea to have a separate little cosmetics bag to put it in just in case it leaks! You can also bring along a pen and some little sticky labels to put on the pots to help you remember which is which.


Make sure you do your research before you go. Read up on some blogs like this one or look in magazines for reviews on the top rated foundations on the market (e.g. Vogue top 10 foundations).


Decide which type of foundation you are looking for: for example - a matte finish or subtle glow, buildable coverage etc. and also the price range. This will reduce your shopping time down significantly and prevent frustration if the counters are busy. If you can tell the assistants what type of foundation you are looking for it will make both of your jobs A LOT easier!


I went to Harrods in London for my shopping; I like to go somewhere I can find all the brands under one roof, so this store was perfect. Plus I work here part-time, so it was nice to enjoy the atmosphere as a shopper instead of an employee.


I was looking for a foundation with a medium coverage that can be built on that will give me a healthy glow. This time round I wasn’t looking for a foundation with a matte finish as I’ve found it makes my skin look quite dull, so I wanted something that gives me a healthy glowing and glamorous finish.


The foundations I chose to review were: 

Nars Sheer Glow Fluid Foundation - £31.50
Burberry Beauty Sheer Luminous Fluid Foundation - £35
Bobbi Brown Long-wear Even Finish Fluid Foundation - £30
Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Fluid foundation - £34.50


NARS: 

I’ve heard such good things about this foundation I had to try it. A lot of the beauty bloggers I aspire to use it often and it was included in Vogues top 10 foundations last year. The foundation has a sheer finish but has the ability to be built upon, which is one of the great things I love about this foundation. It literally feels so light on your skin and is so soft. A lot of sheer foundations that I have tried feel greasy or wet on my skin but this one dried perfectly and made my skin look so radiant. The formula contains turmeric which supposedly evens skin tone and encourage the skins natural radiance, as well as anti-oxidants that protect the skin from potentially damaging free radicals. 

It is recommended this foundation is applied with the fingers, hence why it doesn’t come with a pump. This is because the formula is designed to work with the warmth of your skin and fingers to ensure that the foundation is thoroughly blended to create a natural and even finish. It can get quite messy, but it’s all worth it for that healthy glow! I really recommend this product to anyone looking for a perfect sheer foundation for everyday use. However if you have oily skin, steer clear of this one, as it contains moisturising elements so probably won’t work with your skin. Instead try the Nars Sheer Matte – it has properties suited for oily skin, but is still able to produce a sheer finish.


BURBERRY
I’ve worked on the Burberry Beauty counter in Harrods a lot and one of their most popular products is the Sheer Luminous Fluid Foundation. Like the Nars foundation the finish is quite sheer, but the formula is a little thicker, almost like a gel. Even though the finish is sheer, it still makes your skin look absolutely flawless. I was surprised to find out that not many people are aware that Burberry have a make-up range as all of their products are absolutely amazing and of such good quality! The packaging is also so classic- it’s enough to make you want to buy everything! I was talking to the assistant working on the counter and she told me its bloggers like myself that advertise the brand, so it is important to the company to keep up the standard of products to ensure they get a good review that’s completely honest. Their products are a little pricey, but the quality is impeccable. I must also point out that the service on the counters (I also visited the John Lewis branch) is so good. They took the time to tell me what I needed to know about the products and didn’t pressure me or steer me towards their target products, which I know a lot of makeup counters do. 


You only need a little of the foundation itself and it will cover the whole of your face, which is amazing! Again the formula is designed to be applied with fingers for a sheer finish, but can be built up to a medium coverage using a brush, or a full coverage using a sponge. The foundation lasts almost all day as well, and that’s without using a primer! I am so impressed with this brand, I recommend you visit your nearest branch and have a look at their products.


BOBBI BROWN:
 I was expecting good things from the Long-wear even finish foundation as it was included in the vogue top 10, but I have to say I was disappointed. Because I have normal to combination skin, I was advised to steer clear of the moisturising foundations as they are designed for dry skin and will be too greasy for my skin.  As I wasn’t looking for a matte finish, this was the foundation that was recommended to me. I found the formula to be a bit too thick for me and the finish was still quite matte which wasn’t what I was looking for at all. They didn’t seem to have a foundation to fit my requirements. However this foundation has a medium to buildable coverage and will cover any blemishes create an even finish. 

I just found it a bit heavy and thick for me. It does last up to 12 hours and contains an SPF of 15, great for protecting your skin but not so great for parties where lots of pictures are taken as it can cause flash back (your skin will appear shiny in photos). Bobbi Brown is a great brand, but I couldn’t seem to find a foundation to suit my requirements.

GIORGIO ARMARNI
This foundation had crazy mad reviews, a lot of my friends have raved about it. This one was also included in the Vogue top 10. I really like this foundation; it’s so light and virtually weightless! It didn’t feel like I was wearing anything at all. They had a range of shades so colour match wasn’t a problem, and it blended really well on my skin. This is due to what they call “Micro-fil Technology” to give it that beautiful silky finish. However, call me weird if you want, but I like to know that my foundation is actually on my face! A kind of comfort I guess to know that it’s working and it still looks flawless, but if you like wearing something that feels like nothing then this is the foundation for you! The formula is oil free but still hydrating, so it is recommended for normal skin that won’t get too oily. I love this foundation for its finish and would definitely recommend it.

In the end I went and bought both the Nars and the Burberry foundations. I really like the Nars foundation for everyday wear as it’s so light and natural looking, but I don’t think I’d wear it out for special occasions. The Burberry is a little thicker and has a slightly higher coverage but still looks natural, so I would choose this one for parties etc.  I still want a natural glowing finish when I go out, but the Burberry gives me a little more coverage to look extra flawless and glamorous on those big nights out!

I hope these reviews help you to find the perfect foundation. Foundation shopping is incredibly personal; there are different types for everyone! Don’t just go by what others or I have said, take it as a recommendation to build your own opinions on. Make sure you purchases are confident, so always try them out first!


Good Luck!


Thanks for reading! Please comment or follow my twitter/bloglovin/Instagram accounts!

I am in the process of testing out products for a skincare routine to minimise the appearance of pores, so keep your eyes peeled! It should be out in the next week!

Still to come are posts on gift ideas for him for Valentine’s day, as well as a few make-up and fashion hints and tips for the big day! Also, look out for my post on a skin care and exercise routine for the Perfect Pins for Summer 2014.

Love and Light!

Gem xx


Song of the Day:

Braveheart - Neon Jungle






0 comments:

Post a Comment